Furniture and fitments 031
The Nordic Ecolabel is an official label and a standard specifying absolute requirements. Nordic Ecolabelled furniture and fitments have the lowest environmentally impact in their category. The requirements are based on a life-cycle assessment of the product and requirements are imposed to production, use and waste. The requirements promote the use of certified wood raw materials and recycled plastics and metals and use of fewer substances that are harmful to health and environment, a high degree of durability and recyclability.
The individual manufacturer might gain information through the Nordic Ecolabel requirements as to how they can contribute to the development of a sustainable society.
"Furniture and fitments" is the collective term for the products:
- Interior fittings
Fees are charged per group of products according to the list below:
Fees valid from January 1st, 2019 until further notice
Application fee including one on-site inspection within the Nordic region *) 30 000 SEK excl. VAT. Renewal fee *) 15 000 SEK excl. VAT.
Annual licence fee:
Annual Nordic licence fee**) 0,3 % of the licence's annual turnover in the Nordic countries excl. VAT Minimum fee for the Nordic countries 2 000 EUR annually excl. VAT Maximum fee for the Nordic countries 100 000 EUR excl. VAT Annual licence fee outside the Nordic countries (for licence holders with a turnover of more than 300 000 EUR of Nordic Swan ecolabelled products, sold outside the Nordic countries) 2 000 EUR annually excl. VAT
If the Nordic Swan ecolabelled products are only sold outside the Nordic countries, a minimum fee is always charged.
Fee for extensions/alterations of licence:
Extension/alteration of existing licence The fee is based on how long it takes to handle the matter:
- Less than 4 hours: 3 750 SEK excl. VAT
- Between 4 and 8 hours: 7 500 SEK excl. VAT
- More than 8 hours: 15 000 SEK excl. VAT
Fees for on-site inspections:
Extra fee for additional on-site inspection within the Nordic countries 5 000 SEK excl. VAT per visit On-site inspection outside the Nordic region, but within Europe***) 15 000 SEK excl. VAT per visit On-site inspections outside Europe***) 25 000 SEK excl. VAT per visit
Euro rate: The exchange rate of the first day of the year is used to convert amounts in Euro to national currency:
*) Micro enterprises are charged half the fee. A micro enterprise, according to our definition, is a company with a maximum of 10 employees and with a total turnover of €2 000 000 (including both ecolabelled and non-ecolabelled products).
**) Corporations pay only one licence fee
***) There is an extra fee of 1 000 EUR per day if the inspection takes more than one day.
Information on the latest version of the criteria for furniture and fittments
4.15 ⇛ 4.16: Prolongation of the validity of the criteria
The criteria have been prolonged with 12 months. The new version, 4.16, valid until the 30 June 2022.
4.14 ⇛ 4.15: Alteration and prolongation of criteria
- K19 and appendix 2a and 2c have been updated.
- Furthermore, the criteria have been prolonged with 15 months.
The new version, 4.15, valid until the 30 June 2021.
4.13 ⇛ 4.14: Alteration and prolongation of criteria
- K35 and appendix 6 have been updated. In addition several editorial changes in tables have been made.
- Furthermore K65 has been removed and the criteria have been prolonged with 9 months.
The new version, 4.14, valid until the 31 March 2020.
4.12 ⇛ 4.13: Alteration of criteria
It was decided to implement Nordic Ecolabelling’s new forestry requirements as an alternative to the present forestry requirements. The new version is 4.13.
4.11 ⇛ 4.12: Alteration of criteria
- K4: The exemption for the use of adhesives with polychloroprene additive for mattress and upholstered furniture manufacturers, was extended until generation 4 of the criteria expires, June 30th 2019.
- An exception for formaldehyde impurities in new produced polymer has been introduced.
- An exemption for the use of epoxy acrylate in UV curing coatings has been introduced.
The new criteria version is called 4.12.
4.10 ⇛ 4.11: Alteration and prolongation of criteria
- Editorial changes have been made in the evaluation of version 4 of the criteria.
- Requirements R16, R35, R62 and R67 have been removed.
- New requirements for HPL panels have been introduced.
- An exemtion for minor bronopol in R4: Contents and additives has been introduced.
The criteria have also been prolonged with 18 months. The new version, 4.11, is valid until June 30th, 2019.
4.9 ⇛ 4.10: Alteration of criteria
- R67: The general part of requirement R67 Marketing has been removed.
The new version, 4.10, is valid until December 31st, 2017.
4.8 ⇛ 4.9: Prolongation of exemption
- R4: The exemption for the use of adhesives with polychloroprene additive for mattress and upholstered furniture manufacturers has been extended.
The new version, 4.9, is valid until December 31st, 2017.
4.7 ⇛ 4.8: Alteration of criteria
- R4: The exception for use of adhesive containing polychloropren has been extended until June 30th 2015.
- R39: New material regulation for mineral raw materials used for noise cancellation.
- R60: New regulation for linoleum.
Both regulations come into force once each material exceeds five weight per cent of the furniture piece.
4.6 ⇛ 4.7: Alteration of criteria
- R22 & R23: New information regarding the use of recycled metal in Nordic Ecolabelled furniture.
- R48–R54: Adjustment of textile criteria, primarily those criteria referred to in appendix 1, section 4.2, have been altered.
4.5 ⇛ 4.6: Extension of criteria's validity
The validity of Nordic Ecolabel's criteria for furniture has been extended with 18 months. The new version, 4.6, is valid until December 31st 2017.
4.4 ⇛ 4.5: Alteration of R4 and section 2.7
- Expansion of adhesive exception in R4: The limited exception for use of adhesives with additives containing polychloroprene for mattresses is expanded and is now also valid for padded furniture.
- Adjustment of section 2.7: A lower limit of one weight per cent has been introduced for padding material in section 2.7.
We are so happy you decided to send in an application for the Nordic Swan Ecolabel!
The application process starts by you downloading the application form and filling it in. You then send it to Ecolabelling Sweden.
We will register your application and send you a confirmation. You will also be assigned an advisor who will help you through the application process.
During this process, you will send in documentation that proves that your product can successfully meet each of Nordic Ecolabelling’s requirements for your specific product group.
The application consists of these parts:
- Completed application form
- Documentation Overview
- Documentation showing fulfilment of all requirements according to the criteria document
Once your product has been approved – not before, you have the right to use the Nordic Swan Ecolabel in all your marketing as long as your licence is valid.
We wish you luck with your application and, most importantly, your work towards a more sustainable world!
For more information: "Application step by step"