Furniture and fitments 031
The product group includes seating furniture such as chair and sofa, sleeping furniture such as bed and mattress, storage furniture including wardrobe with coat rack and hat shelf, table/desk, kitchen and bathroom fittings , as well as board/partitions and blackboard/whiteboard.
Lamps, building products, sanitary equipment, office supplies, various interior products, aids, toys and outdoor furniture cannot be certified with the Nordic Swan Ecolabel after these criteria.
Extensive requirements are set for the constituent materials, chemicals used in production, emissions of substances harmful to health and requirements related to the use phase and circular aspects such as quality, warranty and material recycling. The requirements include:
- Use of sustainable renewable raw materials, e.g. requirements for traceability and a minimum of 70% certified wood raw material.
- Environmental and health properties of chemicals used in production, added to the materials or used in surface treatment. Among other things, there are strict requirements to substances that are carcinogenic, toxic to reproduction and can damage genetic material, and bans on halogenated flame retardants, fluorinated substances and antibacterial additives including nanoparticles.
- Limits for content of and low emissions of formaldehyde and VOC in relevant chemicals and materials such as adhesives, padding materials, textiles, wood-based panels and laminate.
- Limits for energy consumption in the production of wood-based panels and laminate, as well as stand-by energy consumption for height adjustable furniture such as desks and beds.
- Test of quality and function
- Warranty, availability of spare parts and circular design.
Fees valid from 1 January 2019 until further notice
The criteria document for furniture and fitments is an overall document for the commodity groups:
- Beds and matresses
- Kitchen and bath furniture and fitments
- Other furniture and fitments
- Upholstered furniture
Fees are charged per commodity group according to the price list below.
Application fee including one on-site inspection within the Nordic region *) 30 000 SEK excl. VAT. Renewal fee *) 15 000 SEK excl. VAT.
Annual licence fee
Annual Nordic licence fee**) 0,3 % of the licence's annual turnover in the Nordic countries excl. VAT Minimum fee for the Nordic countries 2 000 EUR annually excl. VAT Maximum fee for the Nordic countries 100 000 EUR excl. VAT Annual licence fee outside the Nordic countries (for licence holders with a turnover of more than 300 000 EUR of Nordic Swan ecolabelled products, sold outside the Nordic countries) 2 000 EUR annually excl. VAT
If the Nordic Swan ecolabelled products are only sold outside the Nordic countries, a minimum fee is always charged.
Fee for extensions/alterations of licence
Extension/alteration of existing licence The fee is based on how long it takes to handle the matter:
- Less than 4 hours: 3 750 SEK excl. VAT
- Between 4 and 8 hours: 7 500 SEK excl. VAT
- More than 8 hours: 15 000 SEK excl. VAT
Fees for on-site inspections
Extra fee for additional on-site inspection within the Nordic countries 5 000 SEK excl. VAT per visit On-site inspection outside the Nordic region, but within Europe***) 15 000 SEK excl. VAT per visit On-site inspections outside Europe***) 25 000 SEK excl. VAT per visit
Euro rate: The exchange rate of the first day of the year is used to convert amounts in Euro to national currency:
*) Micro enterprises are charged half the fee. A micro enterprise, according to our definition, is a company with a maximum of 10 employees and with a total turnover of €2 000 000 (including both ecolabelled and non-ecolabelled products).
**) Corporations pay only one licence fee
***) There is an extra fee of 1 000 EUR per day if the inspection takes more than one day.
Criteria documentNorwegian / 4.16
Criteria documentNorwegian / 5.0
Writable declarationsNorwegian / 4.16
Criteria documentSwedish / 4.16
Writable declarationsSwedish / 4.16
Criteria documentEnglish / 4.16
Criteria documentEnglish / 5.0
Writable declarationsEnglish / 4.16
Folder structureEnglish / 4.16
Compilation of hearing statementsNorwegian / 5.0
Application helpNorwegian / 5.0
Miscellaneous fileSwedish / 4.16
Compilation of hearing statementsSwedish / 4.16
Fact sheetSwedish / 4.16
Appendix to the hearing statementsDanish / 4.16
Ecolabelled furniture 2020English / 4.16
Application help - energy requirement paperEnglish / 5.0
Application help - material overviewEnglish / 5.0
Application help - requirement overviewEnglish / 5.0
Information on the latest version of the criteria for furniture and fittments
5.0: New generation of criteria
The Nordic Ecolabelling Board has adopted en new version of criteria for Furniture and fitments. The new version, 5.0, are valid until 31 December 2025.
4.15 ⇛ 4.16: Prolongation of the validity of the criteria
The criteria have been prolonged with 12 months. The new version, 4.16, valid until the 30 June 2022.
4.14 ⇛ 4.15: Alteration and prolongation of criteria
- K19 and appendix 2a and 2c have been updated.
- Furthermore, the criteria have been prolonged with 15 months.
The new version, 4.15, valid until the 30 June 2021.
4.13 ⇛ 4.14: Alteration and prolongation of criteria
- K35 and appendix 6 have been updated. In addition several editorial changes in tables have been made.
- Furthermore K65 has been removed and the criteria have been prolonged with 9 months.
The new version, 4.14, valid until the 31 March 2020.
4.12 ⇛ 4.13: Alteration of criteria
It was decided to implement Nordic Ecolabelling’s new forestry requirements as an alternative to the present forestry requirements. The new version is 4.13.
4.11 ⇛ 4.12: Alteration of criteria
- K4: The exemption for the use of adhesives with polychloroprene additive for mattress and upholstered furniture manufacturers, was extended until generation 4 of the criteria expires, June 30th 2019.
- An exception for formaldehyde impurities in new produced polymer has been introduced.
- An exemption for the use of epoxy acrylate in UV curing coatings has been introduced.
The new criteria version is called 4.12.
4.10 ⇛ 4.11: Alteration and prolongation of criteria
- Editorial changes have been made in the evaluation of version 4 of the criteria.
- Requirements R16, R35, R62 and R67 have been removed.
- New requirements for HPL panels have been introduced.
- An exemtion for minor bronopol in R4: Contents and additives has been introduced.
The criteria have also been prolonged with 18 months. The new version, 4.11, is valid until June 30th, 2019.
4.9 ⇛ 4.10: Alteration of criteria
- R67: The general part of requirement R67 Marketing has been removed.
The new version, 4.10, is valid until December 31st, 2017.
4.8 ⇛ 4.9: Prolongation of exemption
- R4: The exemption for the use of adhesives with polychloroprene additive for mattress and upholstered furniture manufacturers has been extended.
The new version, 4.9, is valid until December 31st, 2017.
4.7 ⇛ 4.8: Alteration of criteria
- R4: The exception for use of adhesive containing polychloropren has been extended until June 30th 2015.
- R39: New material regulation for mineral raw materials used for noise cancellation.
- R60: New regulation for linoleum.
Both regulations come into force once each material exceeds five weight per cent of the furniture piece.
4.6 ⇛ 4.7: Alteration of criteria
- R22 & R23: New information regarding the use of recycled metal in Nordic Ecolabelled furniture.
- R48–R54: Adjustment of textile criteria, primarily those criteria referred to in appendix 1, section 4.2, have been altered.
4.5 ⇛ 4.6: Extension of criteria's validity
The validity of Nordic Ecolabel's criteria for furniture has been extended with 18 months. The new version, 4.6, is valid until December 31st 2017.
4.4 ⇛ 4.5: Alteration of R4 and section 2.7
- Expansion of adhesive exception in R4: The limited exception for use of adhesives with additives containing polychloroprene for mattresses is expanded and is now also valid for padded furniture.
- Adjustment of section 2.7: A lower limit of one weight per cent has been introduced for padding material in section 2.7.
In order to use the Nordic Swan Ecolabel in your marketing, you must have a valid Nordic Swan Ecolabel licence. Please log in to The Nordic Ecolabelling Portal to apply for a licence. You are free to use the Nordic Swan Ecolabel in all of your marketing from the date of approval until your licence expires.
Go to The Nordic Ecolabelling Portal and start your application process! If this is the first time you apply, please contact email@example.com to receive login information for the Portal.
Start by going through the requirements and fees that apply to your specific product group. These can be found above.
In some cases, you must use our separate application form. For example, the form must be used in cases where the producer and licensee are two separate companies, or if you wish to cancel a licence. Please contact your advisor in these cases, or if you are unsure what applies to you. The form to be used in these special cases can be downloaded here.
For more details on the application process, please head to our application guide: "Application step by step".
Good luck with your application!