Furniture and fitments 031
The product group includes seating furniture such as chair and sofa, sleeping furniture such as bed and mattress, storage furniture including wardrobe with coat rack and hat shelf, table/desk, kitchen and bathroom fittings , as well as board/partitions and blackboard/whiteboard.
Lamps, building products, sanitary equipment, office supplies, various interior products, aids, toys and outdoor furniture cannot be certified with the Nordic Swan Ecolabel after these criteria.
Extensive requirements are set for the constituent materials, chemicals used in production, emissions of substances harmful to health and requirements related to the use phase and circular aspects such as quality, warranty and material recycling. The requirements include:
- Use of sustainable renewable raw materials, e.g. requirements for traceability and a minimum of 70% certified wood raw material.
- Environmental and health properties of chemicals used in production, added to the materials or used in surface treatment. Among other things, there are strict requirements to substances that are carcinogenic, toxic to reproduction and can damage genetic material, and bans on halogenated flame retardants, fluorinated substances and antibacterial additives including nanoparticles.
- Limits for content of and low emissions of formaldehyde and VOC in relevant chemicals and materials such as adhesives, padding materials, textiles, wood-based panels and laminate.
- Limits for energy consumption in the production of wood-based panels and laminate, as well as stand-by energy consumption for height adjustable furniture such as desks and beds.
- Test of quality and function
- Warranty, availability of spare parts and circular design.
The criteria document for furniture and fitments is an overall document for the commodity groups:
- Beds and matresses
- Kitchen and bath furniture and fitments
- Other furniture and fitments
- Upholstered furniture
Fees are charged per commodity group according to the price list below.
Valid from 1 January 2019 Amount excluding VAT
Application for a new licence 3 000 EUR Application for a renewed licence when the requirements have been tightened 1 500 EUR
Annual licence fee
The licence fee for the Nordic Swan Ecolabelled products is based on their turnover in the Nordic countries The fee is 0,3 % of the products' turnover in the Nordic countries Minimum fee in the Nordic countries 2 000 EUR per year Maximum fee in the Nordic countries 100 000 EUR per year Fixed fee that is added for sales outside the Nordic countries 2 000 EUR per year if the turnover exceeds 300 000 EUR
Fee for extension / change of licence
Fixed fee that is charged depending on how long the work takes.
Up to 4 hours 375 EUR 4–8 hours 750 EUR 8 or more hours 1 500 EUR
Fee for on-site inspections
One on-site inspection in the Nordic countries is included when applying for a new or renewed licence.
Additional on-site inspection within the Nordic countries 500 EUR per visit On-site inspection outside the Nordic region, but within Europe 1 500 EUR per visit On-site inspection outside Europe 2 500 EUR per visit Additional fee for on-site inspections lasting longer than one day 1 000 EUR per day
Ecolabelling Sweden AB has no financial profit purpose and is financed through the fees above along with an annual government grant. The company is however liable for VAT according to article 56 of the European Council Directive 2006/112/EC.
Invoicing is made in SEK with the exchange rate from the first banking day of the year.
When both the applicant and the manufacturer are micro-enterprises, the application fee is reduced by 50%. A micro-enterprise is in this context defined as an enterprise with less than 10 employees and an annual turnover (of both ecolabelled and not ecolabelled products) below 2 million EUR.
Criteria documentNorwegian / 4.18
Criteria documentNorwegian / 5.2
Writable declarationsNorwegian / 4.18
Criteria documentSwedish / 4.18
Criteria documentSwedish / 5.2
Writable declarationsSwedish / 4.18
Criteria documentEnglish / 5.2
Criteria documentEnglish / 4.18
Writable declarationsEnglish / 4.18
Folder structureEnglish / 4.18
Compilation of hearing statementsNorwegian / 5.2
Application helpNorwegian / 5.2
Miscellaneous fileSwedish / 4.18
Portalguide – Ansökan om förnyelse av licensSwedish / 5.2
Miscellaneous fileSwedish / 5.2
Portalguide – Deklarera komponenterSwedish / 5.2
Compilation of hearing statementsSwedish / 4.18
Fact sheetSwedish / 4.18
Appendix to the hearing statementsDanish / 4.18
Application help - energy requirement paperEnglish / 5.2
Portal guide – Declare itemsEnglish / 5.2
Portal guide – New licence applicationEnglish / 5.2
Portal guide – Renewal of licenceEnglish / 5.2
Ecolabelled furniture 2020English / 4.18
Application help - material overviewEnglish / 5.2
Application help - requirement overviewEnglish / 5.2
Information on the latest version of the criteria for furniture and fittments
5.1 ⇛ 5.2: Adjustment of criteria
An adjustment of endocrine disruptors has been made in the criteria, which affects the following requirements: O22, O34, O47, O53, O65, O74, O88, O93, O107 and O153. In addition, a clarification regarding pillows and under which product types they should originate has been done. The new version is called 5.2.
5.0 ⇛ 5.1: Adjustment of criteria
A number of adjustments have been made in various requirements, e.g. applicable de minimis limit for when requirements for prohibited and restricted wood species shall apply, requirement O65 Prohibited substances where exemptions are granted for polyaziridines that are not classified CMR, harmonization of requirements O112, 120, 121 and 158 with the revised requirements in the criteria for Nordic Ecolabelling of textiles, skinns / hides and leather. Further adjustment of requirement O51 where exceptions for certain UV products are granted. In addition, a clarification of requirements O15 Circular design has been made. The new version is called 5.1.
5.0: New generation of criteria
The Nordic Ecolabelling Board has adopted en new version of criteria for Furniture and fitments. The new version, 5.0, are valid until 31 December 2025.
4.17 ⇛ 4.18: Prolongation of the validity of the criteria
The criteria has been prolonged with 12 months. The new version, 4.18, valid until the 30 June 2023.
4.16 ⇛ 4.17: Prolongation of the validity of the criteria
The criteria have been prolonged with 6 months. The new version, 4.17, valid until the 31 December 2022.
4.15 ⇛ 4.16: Prolongation of the validity of the criteria
The criteria have been prolonged with 12 months. The new version, 4.16, valid until the 30 June 2022.
4.14 ⇛ 4.15: Adjustment and prolongation of criteria
- K19 and appendix 2a and 2c have been updated.
- Furthermore, the criteria have been prolonged with 15 months.
The new version, 4.15, valid until the 30 June 2021.
4.13 ⇛ 4.14: Adjustment and prolongation of criteria
- K35 and appendix 6 have been updated. In addition several editorial changes in tables have been made.
- Furthermore K65 has been removed and the criteria have been prolonged with 9 months.
The new version, 4.14, valid until the 31 March 2020.
4.12 ⇛ 4.13: Adjustment of criteria
It was decided to implement Nordic Ecolabelling’s new forestry requirements as an alternative to the present forestry requirements. The new version is 4.13.
4.11 ⇛ 4.12: Adjustment of criteria
- K4: The exemption for the use of adhesives with polychloroprene additive for mattress and upholstered furniture manufacturers, was extended until generation 4 of the criteria expires, June 30th 2019.
- An exception for formaldehyde impurities in new produced polymer has been introduced.
- An exemption for the use of epoxy acrylate in UV curing coatings has been introduced.
The new criteria version is called 4.12.
4.10 ⇛ 4.11: Adjustment and prolongation of criteria
- Editorial changes have been made in the evaluation of version 4 of the criteria.
- Requirements R16, R35, R62 and R67 have been removed.
- New requirements for HPL panels have been introduced.
- An exemtion for minor bronopol in R4: Contents and additives has been introduced.
The criteria have also been prolonged with 18 months. The new version, 4.11, is valid until June 30th, 2019.
4.9 ⇛ 4.10: Adjustment of criteria
- R67: The general part of requirement R67 Marketing has been removed.
The new version, 4.10, is valid until December 31st, 2017.
4.8 ⇛ 4.9: Prolongation of exemption
- R4: The exemption for the use of adhesives with polychloroprene additive for mattress and upholstered furniture manufacturers has been extended.
The new version, 4.9, is valid until December 31st, 2017.
4.7 ⇛ 4.8: Adjustment of criteria
- R4: The exception for use of adhesive containing polychloropren has been extended until June 30th 2015.
- R39: New material regulation for mineral raw materials used for noise cancellation.
- R60: New regulation for linoleum.
Both regulations come into force once each material exceeds five weight per cent of the furniture piece.
4.6 ⇛ 4.7: Adjustment of criteria
- R22 & R23: New information regarding the use of recycled metal in Nordic Ecolabelled furniture.
- R48–R54: Adjustment of textile criteria, primarily those criteria referred to in appendix 1, section 4.2, have been altered.
4.5 ⇛ 4.6: Prolongation of criteria's validity
The validity of Nordic Ecolabel's criteria for furniture has been extended with 18 months. The new version, 4.6, is valid until December 31st 2017.
4.4 ⇛ 4.5: Adjustment of R4 and section 2.7
- Expansion of adhesive exception in R4: The limited exception for use of adhesives with additives containing polychloroprene for mattresses is expanded and is now also valid for padded furniture.
- Adjustment of section 2.7: A lower limit of one weight per cent has been introduced for padding material in section 2.7.
In order to use the Nordic Swan Ecolabel in your marketing, you must have a valid Nordic Swan Ecolabel licence. Please log in to The Nordic Ecolabelling Portal to apply for a licence. You are free to use the Nordic Swan Ecolabel in all of your marketing from the date of approval until your licence expires.
Go to The Nordic Ecolabelling Portal and start your application process!
If this is the first time you apply, an authorised signatory in your company must approve the terms and conditions for the Nordic Ecolabelling Portal. Then you will get a login to the portal and the right to assign access to other colleagues.
When you have filled in the power of attorney, you will receive an e-mail from us with your login credentials.
Start by going through the requirements and fees that apply to your specific product group. These can be found above.
In some cases, you must use our separate application form. For example, the form must be used in cases where the producer and licensee are two separate companies, or if you wish to cancel a licence. Please contact your advisor in these cases, or if you are unsure what applies to you. The form to be used in these special cases can be downloaded here.
For more details on the application process, please head to our application guide: "Application step by step".
Good luck with your application!