Investment Funds 101
The Nordic Swan Ecolabel gives consumers guidance to funds that have taken on the role of influencing companies to act more sustainably. All the Nordic Swan Ecolabelled fund has to do is
- opt out the worst companies and industries
- opt for more sustainable businesses, and
- act transparently.
In doing this the Nordic Swan Ecolabelled fund will influence companies to act more sustainably on a long term.
Learn more about funds on our Investment Fund site
Regardeless if you are an investor that wants to invest your money in sustainable funds or of you are a fund provider who wants to Nordic Swan Ecolabel your fund, you will find lots of information on our fund site.
Fees from June 15th, 2017 until further notice
Application fee including one on-site inspection within the Nordic countries
3 000 EUR (per fund) excl. VAT.
2 000 EUR (per fond) excl. VAT. Index funds shall base their application on an index that has been evaluated och approved by Nordic Ecolabelling.
125 EUR per hour excl. VAT.
Renewal fee 1 500 EUR (per fund) excl. VAT.
Annual licence fee:
Annual Nordic licence fee The annual licence fee is based on the size (AUM*) and the ongoing charges of the fund.
The licence fee is determined by calculating the average AUM held by Nordic unitholders (during the period of the year when the fund has had a valid Nordic Swan Ecolabel license). VAT is added.
Ongoing charges of fund | Licence fee
≥ 1.00% 0.0015% of AUM
<1.00 % 0.0014% of AUM
<0.80% 0.0013% of AUM
<0.60% 0.0012% of AUM
* Assets Under Management
Annual fee, index providers 1 500 EUR (one-day inspection) + travel costs. Please refer to "Fees for on-site inspections". If more than a working day is required for the inspection, an extra fee of 125 EUR per hour is charged. Minimum fee for a Nordic license 1 500 EUR per year excl. VAT Maximum fee for a Nordic licence 10 000 EUR per year excl. VAT and 100 000 EUR per group, at a minimum 2 000 EUR per fund.
NB! Funds can also be marketed with the Nordic Swan Ecolabel outside the Nordic countries. The licence fee is based on the AUM that Nordic unitholders hold in the Nordic Swan Ecolabelled fund.
Fees for extensions/alternation of the licence:
Extension/alteration of existing licence Fees will be charged according to how long it takes to deal with the matter:
- Less than 4 hours: 375 EUR excl. VAT
- Between 4 and 8 hours: 750 EUR excl. VAT
- More than 8 hours: 1 500 EUR excl. VAT
Fees for on-site inspections:
Extra fee for additional on-site inspection within the Nordic countries 500 EUR excl. VAT per visit On-site inspection outside the Nordic region, but within Europe *) 1 500 EUR excl. VAT per visit On-site inspection outside Europe *) 2 500 EUR excl. VAT per visit
*) There is an extra fee of 1 000 EUR per day, if the inspection takes more than one day.
KriteriedokumentEngelska / 1.1
RemissammanställningSvenska / 1.1
BakgrundsdokumentEngelska / 1.1
Information on the latest version of the criteria for investment funds
1.0 ⇛ 1.1: Alteration of criteria
The Nordic Ecolabelling Board decided on 14 March 2018 that qualified non corporate green bonds can be included when the applicant shows that the fund can apply for a license. The new version is called 1.1.
1.0: Adoption of criteria
The Nordic Ecolabelling Board decided on 14 June 2017 to adopt criteria for investment funds. Version 1.0 is valid until 30 June 2020.
We are so happy you decided to send in an application for the Nordic Swan Ecolabel!
This is a general description of how the application process looks - from thought to approved licence.
It is possible to Nordic Swan Ecolabel most types of funds. But unfortunately, not all. So, before you start applying, it will be wise to check that your fund really can be Nordic Swan Ecolabelled.
Note that brand-new funds, which have not yet entered the market, can be approved and Nordic Swan Ecolabelled from the first day they are on sale. If you want your fund to be Nordic Swan Ecolabelled right from the start, it is very important that you contact us as early as possible in the development of the new fund.
To be able to start an application, the following three things must be fulfilled:
- The fund must work according to UCITS.
- The fund must be registered for distribution in at least one Nordic country.
- The fund may hold max, as an average over one year, 50% bonds that are not issued by companies.
If the fund meets the above, the application process is as follows:
- Download the criteria document, read through and form an idea of the conditions that you believe your fund has. Pay special attention to how the respective requirements should be documented. If questions and concerns arise - contact us and we will talk about it all.
- Now you should have a feeling for whether the fund can meet the requirements or not. Fill in and submit the application form, if you have not already done so, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Get started and collect the documents we need to be able to check to be sure the requirements are met. The more evident and detailed documents we get, the smoother our management will be and the fund can be approved faster. Therefore, consider the following:
- Always use this checklist for each fund. The checklist must be attached to the application.
- Be sure to name the documents clearly. Keep in mind that one and the same document can often be designed to meet several requirements.
- Keep in mind that you will probably need to involve your subcontractors in one way or the other, so contact them at an early stage to make the process as smooth as possible. This is especially important for index funds.
- Submit the documentation. You do not have to wait until you have collected all the documentation, it is possible to collect documentation for some requirements and submit them. Your advisor will give you feedback as soon as possible. Note that you will not be approved until all requirements are met. When everything seems to be in order, your advisor will make a visit to your company.
- Done! Your fund is now approved and you can market it with the Nordic Swan Ecolabel.
How long does it take to get a Nordic Swan Ecolabel licence?
Be well in advance with your application, preferably at least 6 months before you wish to receive your licence from us. If you have never had a Nordic Swan Ecolabel licence before, it is advisory to plan for an even longer application process, and we recommend that you contact us for a joint planning of the process.
Application valid for one year
If the applicant company does not actively work with its application, Ecolabelling Sweden, after one year, has the right to decline it.
We wish you luck with your application and, most importantly, your work towards a more sustainable world!