Consultation concerning revised criteria
Nordic Ecolabelling gives you the opportunity to comment on the proposal for criteria for Nordic Swan Ecolabelling for Toys. The ecolabelling is assessed based on a life cycle perspective and fulfil high environmental and health requirements. Your comments are important and will be considered by the national Ecolabelling boards and the Nordic Ecolabelling Board.
We look forward to your comments, which should be sent to Ecolabelling Sweden no later than September 10, 2020 to be taken into consideration.
Please find the proposed criteria for download further down on this page.
What has been changed?
- Increased control of tests from the Toy Directive.
- Updated and new requirements for chemicals.
- Requirements for recycled and reused materials.
- More requirements for plastic materials, e.g. bioplastic.
- New requirement for spare parts for certain types of toys.
- New packaging requirements.
- New requirement regarding control of suppliers.
We wish to highlight the following points
Nordic Ecolabelling would like to have comments on the complete criteria set but would like to highlight the following points:
- Formaldehyde in glue (requirement O9): The requirements covers glue to glue toy parts together. The requirement is tightened so that the glue max. must contain 10 ppm of formaldehyde.
- Plastic/Rubber – Residual monomers in the polymer (requirement O20): New requirement.
- Plastic/Rubber – Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) (requirement O22): New test requirement for 24 PAHs.
- Foam – Formamide emission (requirement O24): New requirement.
- Plastic – Raw materials for biobased polymers (requirement O28): New requirement for raw materials used for biobased polymers.
- Textile – Synthetic fibers, fossil origin (requirement O42): New requirement of min. 50% recycled material.
- Textile – Synthetic fibers, biobased origin (requirement O43): New requirement for raw materials used for biobased polymers.
- Fillings – Other renewable raw materials, microbial purity (requirement O49): New requirement for testing of microbial purity of core, rice, wood pellets etc., used ad filling.
- Metal – Metal coating (requirement O56 and O57): The requirements are tightened.
- Paper/Cardboard – Printing and surface treatment (requirement O60, O61 and O62): The requirements are tightened.
- Spare parts (requirement O80): New requirement regarding that spare parts must be offered for certain types of toys.
- Packaging (requirement O81, O83 and O84): The requirements are new.
- Supplier control (requirement O88): New requirement that the license must annually check and evaluate the suppliers.
Documents for download
Who can provide input?
All people, companies and institutions who are interested in taking part in the development work of Nordic Ecolabelling criteria for Toys can provide us with their opinions and comments. We would appreciate if you kindly distribute information about this review to whom it may concern.
How can comments be sent in?
Your input is most valuable to our criteria development. We prefer to receive your answers via the form below, via mail or by e-mail to email@example.com.
For further questions, please contact our
Product Specialist Ulf Eriksson
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +46(0) 8-55 55 24 44.
What happens next?
When the consultation period is complete, the answers will be compiled and evaluated. For this reason, a new revised proposal for criteria will be submitted to the Swedish Ecolabelling Board and the other national committees. On this basis, the Nordic Ecolabelling Board will then decide on new criteria.
Part of the decision document is the summary of all consultation responses together with answers from Nordic Ecolabelling. The summary will be public and available on the Ecolabelling Sweden’s web page in connection with the publication of the new criteria.
We look forward to receiving your comments no later than September 10, 2020.