Consultation concerning revised criteria
Furniture and fittings
Nordic Ecolabelling gives you the opportunity to comment on the proposal for criteria for Nordic Swan Ecolabelling for Furniture and Fitments. The ecolabelling is assessed based on a life cycle perspective and fulfil high environmental and health requirements.Your comments are important and will be considered by the national Ecolabelling boards and the Nordic Ecolabelling Board.
We look forward to your comments, which should be sent to the Nordic Ecolabelling no later than April 17, 2020 to be taken into consideration.
Please find the proposed criteria for download further down on this page.
What has been changed?
This revision focus on criteria for a strong climate profile and support circularity. The main changes proposed you find below. Would you need more detailed information, please read the attached criteria and background document.
In addition to the above mentioned we would also like your comments on the following matters
Pay special attention to the suggested requests listed below, for example the suggested portion of recycled metals.
We wish to highlight the following points in the consultation draft:
- structure and layout are changed so that the the requirements for each material, including the chemical requirements, are compiled under separate chapters. This is to avoid going back and forward in the criteria or refer to other materials requests.
- The criteria have been expanded with the materials paper and other renewable raw materials such as down and feather. The criteria also want to include the materials natural stone and agglomerated stone based on EU Ecolabel's criteria for Hard coverings. These criteria are now under revision in the EU.
- An overall requirement is set for the proportion of renewable/recycled/reused materials in the product.
- The requirement for recycled metal is tightened as the percentage of recycled metal must be at least 70% by weight and that the requirement applies if metal is included with 30% by weight in the product. There are also clearer requirements for traceability in the supply chain.
- More strict and extensive chemical requirements are set.
- Emission requirements for foamed padding materials have been tightened.
- There are several new requirements related to circular aspects, e.g. that the components of the furniture can be separated from each other and warranty requirements.
- The requirement model for textiles and leather has changed and requirements have been generally tightened. Among other things, new requirements are set for fiber production for textiles and leather, which are used as outer cover for eg. sofas, chairs and mattresses
Documents for download
Who can provide input?
All people, companies and institutions who are interested in taking part in the development work of Nordic Ecolabelling criteria for Furniture and Fitments can provide us with their opinions and comments. We would appreciate if you kindly distribute information about this review to whom it may concern.
How can comments be sent in?
Your input is most valuable to our criteria development. We prefer to receive your answers via the form below, via mail or by e-mail to email@example.com.
For further questions, please contact our Product Specialist
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or
telephone +46(0) 8-55 55 24 26.
What happens next?
When the consultation period is complete, the answers will be compiled and evaluated. For this reason, a new revised proposal for criteria will be submitted to the Swedish Ecolabelling Board and the other national committees. On this basis, the Nordic Ecolabelling Board will then decide on new criteria.
Part of the decision document is the summary of all consultation responses together with answers from Nordic Ecolabelling. The summary will be public and available on the Ecolabelling Sweden’s web page in connection with the publication of the new criteria.
We look forward to receiving your comments no later than April 17, 2020.