Consultation concerning revised criteria for
Dishwasher detergents and rinsing agents
Nordic Ecolabelling gives you the opportunity to comment on the proposal for criteria for Nordic Swan Ecolabelling for Dishwasher detergents and rinsing agents. The ecolabelling is assessed based on a life cycle perspective and fulfil high environmental and health requirements. Your comments are important and will be considered by the national Ecolabelling boards and the Nordic Ecolabelling Board.
We look forward to your comments, which should be sent to Ecolabelling Sweden no later than May 7, 2021 to be taken into consideration.
Please find the proposed criteria for download further down on this page.
What has been changed?
The most important changes compared to generation 6 are:
- O3 Certified materials from oil palms. New requirement, in line with other more recent Nordic Swan Ecolabel criteria for cleaning products and detergents.
- O14 Water-soluble film. New requirement on ready biodegradability.
- O18–O23 New requirements on Recycled material and Design for recycling of packaging.
- O24 Weight-Utility Ratio – WUR (O18 in gen 6). The limit values of the requirement have been tightened compared to generation 6. Further, they have been differentiated based on product and packaging types.
- O25 Fill ratio (O19 in gen 6). The limit values of the requirement have been tightened compared to generation 6. Further, they have been differentiated based on product and packaging types.
- O26 Washing guidance on packaging. New requirement.
We are particularly interested in getting comments on the following points:
- O2 Classification of the product (O2 in gen 6). A ban on H420 and a restriction on EUH208 has been introduced.
- O5 Prohibited substances (O8 in gen 6). The list has been adjusted and is now in line with more recent Nordic Swan Ecolabel criteria for cleaning products and detergents.
- O6 Phosphorous (O7 in gen 6). The limitation on phosphorous has been tightened for dishwasher detergents.
- O7 Fragrances (O9 in gen 6). Fragrance is not permitted in rinse aid anymore. Fragrance added to the packaging must now also be taken into account for dishwasher detergents. Moreover, the requirement is adjusted and is now in line with other more recent Nordic Swan Ecolabel criteria for cleaning products and detergents.
- O11 Long-term environmental effects (O6 in gen 6). The limit values have been tightened.
- O12 Critical dilution volume – CDV (O14 in gen 6). CDV can now be calculated only with chronic values. The limit values have been tightened for all three categories.
- O16 Performance of the dishwasher detergent (O22 in gen 6). Updated to IKW2015 (including lowered test temperature to 45ºC), and updated Nordic Swan specific modifications.
- O17 Performance of the rinse aid. New test method. Please also note that multifunctional dishwasher detergents with rinse aid function must fulfil this requirement.
- O26 Dosage instructions (O16 in gen 6).
- O28 Information on recycling (O20 in gen 6). The common Nordic pictogram system from 2020 must be used.
We also welcome comments on any other requirement and any other parts of the criteria and background document.
Documents for download
Who can provide input?
All people, companies and institutions who are interested in taking part in the development work of Nordic Ecolabelling criteria for Furniture and Fitments can provide us with their opinions and comments. We would appreciate if you kindly distribute information about this review to whom it may concern.
How can comments be sent in?
Your input is most valuable to our criteria development. We prefer to receive your answers via the form below or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further questions, please contact our Product Specialist
Thibault Angles d’Ortoli
e-mail: email@example.com or
telephone +46(0) 8-55 55 24 17.
Nordic Ecolabelling will organise a consultation webinar on the criteria proposal.
Date and time: Friday March 12, 2021 at 10:00-11:30 CET.
Place: Microsoft Teams. Click this link for direct access to the webinar. Welcome!
What happens next?
When the consultation period is complete, the answers will be compiled and evaluated. For this reason, a new revised proposal for criteria will be submitted to the Swedish Ecolabelling Board and the other national committees. On this basis, the Nordic Ecolabelling Board will then decide on new criteria.
Part of the decision document is the summary of all consultation responses together with answers from Nordic Ecolabelling. The summary will be public and available on the Ecolabelling Sweden’s web page in connection with the publication of the new criteria.
We look forward to receiving your comments no later than May 7, 2021.