Consultation concerning revised criteria for
Car, Boat and Train Care Products
Nordic Ecolabelling gives you the opportunity to comment on the proposal for criteria for Nordic Swan Ecolabelling for car, boat and train care products. Your comments are important and will be considered by the national Ecolabelling boards and the Nordic Ecolabelling Board.
We look forward to your comments, which should be sent to the Nordic Ecolabelling no later than February 28, 2020 to be taken into consideration.
Nordic Ecolabelling also invites you to a webinar on January 23, 2020 to introduce and discuss the proposal for criteria for car, boat and train care products.
Nordic Swan Ecolabelled car, boat and train care products are assessed based on a life cycle perspective and fulfil high environmental and health requirements. Nordic Swan Ecolabelled car, boat and train care product:
- Meet strict requirements regarding environmentally hazardous chemicals, including requirements targeting ecotoxicity and degradability.
- Comply with tough requirements relating to chemicals that are harmful to health, including a ban on substances that are classified as carcinogenic, mutagenic or reprotoxic.
- Perform effectively and produce the required results.
- Meet tough requirements concerning volatile organic compounds and thus make a minimal contribution to the formation of tropospheric (near ground level) ozone.
- Have packaging that contributes to a circular economy, not least through its design and material choices.
- Have information on the packaging about how to use the product. This includes instructions on washing in a location where the drains are connected to a water treatment plant in order to protect the environment.
Please find the proposed criteria for download further down on this page.
What has been changed?
- The product group has changed its name to Car, boat and train care products and been expanded to include products for trains and other rail transport.
- Requirement for purchasing policy regarding sustainable, renewable raw materials is introduced.
- Requirements for substances prohibited from products have been increased by including MI, BHT and D6.
- Fragrances must not be present in consumer products and professional pre-wash products.
- Preservatives judged to be sensitising with hazard code H317 and/or H334 may only be present in the product to a maximum of 0.0100% (100 ppm).
- Requirement for long-term environmental effects have been tightened regarding limit values and exceptions for surfactants.
- CDV requirements are based on chronic data instead of acute data. The product types are updated and the limit values for CDV have been tightened for all product types.
- The ethanol in windscreen washer fluid must be based on renewable raw material and on an annual basis at least 50% must be produced from a residual product in line with the Renewable Energy Directive (EU) 2018/2001. The ethanol must not be based on sugar cane.
- Pre-mixed windscreen washer fluid can be Nordic Swan Ecolabelled.
- Requirements for recycling design of plastic packaging, closures and pouches have been introduced.
We wish to highlight the following points
Extension of the product group with pre-mixed windscreen washer fluid
Nordic Swan Ecolabelled windscreen washer fluid must meet the requirements concerning constituent substances, the degradability of organic substances and ecotoxicity. The ethanol must be based on renewable raw material and on an annual basis at least 50% must be produced from a residual product in line with the Renewable Energy Directive (EU) 2018/2001. The ethanol must not be based on sugar cane. Furthermore, the packaging must be designed to facilitate material recovery. For more information, see Section 6 Supplementary requirements for windscreen washer fluid in the background document.
O3 Sustainable raw materials
The licence holder must document that they are working on increasing their purchases of renewable raw materials that are sustainable and/or that they require the manufacturer to work on increasing its purchase of sustainable, renewable raw materials for Nordic Swan Ecolabelled car, boat and train care products.
O4 Classification of the product
Products labelled as EUH208 “Contains (name of sensitising substance). May cause an allergic reaction” cannot be Nordic Swan Ecolabelled.
O5 Classification of constituent substances
Classification with H317 and/or H334 is prohibited, with some exceptions.
O6 Organic substances, degradability
- Do synthetic waxes contain microplastics?
- Can synthetic waxes be replaced with natural waxes (that are not defined to contain microplastics)?
O7 Substances prohibited from products
- MI (methylisothiazolinone, CAS no. 2682-20-4) is prohibited.
- BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene, CAS no. 128-37-0) is prohibited.
- D6 is prohibited in addition to the siloxanes D4, D5 and HMDS.
Fragrances must not be present in consumer products* and professional pre-wash products. Pre-wash products include alkaline degreasers, cold degreasers, microemulsions, insect removers and wheel rim cleaners.
Preservatives that are judged to be sensitising with hazard code H317 and/or H334 may only be present in the product to a maximum of 0.0100% (100 ppm).
O12 Long-term environmental effects
- The total limit value for substances classified as H410, H411 and H412 has been lowered from 1.5 to 0.5.
- Surfactants classified as H411 can no longer be exempted from the requirement.
- The limit value for substances classified as H400 has been lowered from 1.2 to 0.4 grams/litre of working solution.
- Engine wash has been deleted, as these products are degreasers.
- Window wash has been deleted, since these products instead belong to other product types.
- Degreasers are split into alkaline degreasers, cold degreasers and microemulsions.
- Wheel and rim cleaners and insect cleaners have been separated out from other products.
- Transition from acute to chronic data.
- The limit values for CDV have been tightened for all product types.
O16 Recycling design of plastic packaging and closures (excluding pouches)
Plastic packaging must have a design that facilitates material recovery.
O17 Recycling design of pouches
Pouches must have a design that facilitates material recovery.
O19 Packaging for foam products
Only sprays with a foaming nozzle can be Nordic Swan Ecolabelled.
Documents for download
Who can provide input?
All people, companies and institutions who are interested in taking part in the development work of Nordic Ecolabelling criteria for Car, boat and train care products can provide us with their opinions and comments. We would appreciate if you kindly distribute information about this review to whom it may concern.
How can comments be sent in?
Your input is most valuable to our criteria development. We prefer to receive your answers via the form below, via mail or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further questions, please contact our Product Specialist
E-mail: email@example.com or
telephone +46(0) 8-55 55 24 77.
Participation in the webinar on January 23, 2020 at 10–11 o’clock
Please, sign up by e-mail to product developer Caroline Karlsson by January 16, 2020 to get a link to the webinar.
What happens next?
When the consultation period is complete, the answers will be compiled and evaluated. For this reason, a new revised proposal for criteria will be submitted to the Swedish Ecolabelling Board and the other national committees. On this basis, the Nordic Ecolabelling Board will then decide on new criteria.
Part of the decision document is the summary of all consultation responses together with answers from Nordic Ecolabelling. The summary will be public and available on the Ecolabelling Sweden’s web page in connection with the publication of the new criteria.
We look forward to receiving your comments no later than February 28, 2020.