Small houses, apartment buildings and buildings for schools and pre-schools 089
The Nordic Ecolabel makes requirement of the building's energy use, chemical products, building products/goods and a number of indoor environmental aspects that are relevant to the health and the environment. The Nordic Ecolabel also makes requirements of quality management in the construction process, and the handover of the building to the residents and administration/operations.
Nordic Ecolabelled buildings are assessed on the basis of a lifecycle perspective and
- have low energy consumption
- fulfil strict environmental and health requirements on construction products, materials and chemical products
- ensures a good indoor environment and low emissions
- have a quality-assured construction process.
Building Materials Database
Our "Building Materials Database" is now launched. The Database contains both Ecolabelled products as well as listed products, which may be used in a Nordic Swan Ecolabelled building
In the database, producers of building materials are able to list their products and make them visible for companies, in the process of building a Nordic Swan Ecolabelled building. Licence holders and applying companies are then able to browse the database and create a list, containg all materials which will be used in the Nordic Swan Ecolabelled building. The new database will improve the application process and enable a better overview of all materials used in all Nordic Swan Ecolabelled building projects in the Nordic region.
Please click the link below to read more, to gain access to the database and to add your products.
Fees valid from 2019-01-01 until further notice
Application fee including one on-site inspection within the Nordic region 30 000 SEK excl. VAT. Renewal fee (when new criteria are developed) 15 000 SEK excl. VAT.
Licence fee (one-time fee) 45 SEK excl. VAT per square meter living space. Half the fee is charged when commencing building and will not be repaid should the project not be finalized. The rest is charged when the building is ready to move into. Minimum fee when no buildings are built during the year 20 000 SEK annually excl. VAT
Fee for extensions/alterations of licence
Extension (i.e. new projects, large additions of materials, alterations of management system) 15 000 SEK excl. VAT
Fees for on-site inspections
Extra fees for additional inspections might come into question, for example, when visiting suppliers of prefabricated materials
Extra fee for additional on-site inspection within the Nordic countries 5 000 SEK excl. VAT per visit On-site inspection outside the Nordic region, but within Europe*) 15 000 SEK excl. VAT per visit On-site inspections outside Europe*)
25 000 SEK excl. VAT per visit
*) There is an extra fee of 1 000 EUR per day if the inspection takes more than one day
Remissammanställning 2016Swedish / 3.10
Information on the latest version of the criteria for small houses, apartment buildings and buildings for scholls and pre-school buildings
3.9 ⇛ 3.10: Adjustment of criteria
Adjustments to the following requirements have been included in the criteria:
- Requirement O4: Energy consumption of the building. The requirements for Sweden are maintained as new national energy requirements come into force.
- Requirement O16: Classification of chemical products has been updated.
The adjustments are published in criteria version 3.10.
3.8 ⇛ 3.9: Adjustment of criteria
Some adjustments have been included in the criteria:
Requirement O23: Kitchen-sinks have been included in the requirement.
Requirement O13 on daylight has been updated with the method for calculating overtemperature.
Furthermore, the introduction of an optional point requirement for CO2 calculation on houses in Finland.
The adjustments are published in criteria version 3.9.
3.7 ⇛ 3.8: Adjusting the criteria
Some adjustments have been included in the criteria:
Requirements O20: D4, D5 and D6 were excluded as residues from the production of silicone polymers of 1 000 ppm each.
Requirement O4 has been updated for Denmark with references to the new BR18.
In addition, an exception specifically for Finland due to differences in fire protection rules and classification of exterior doors resistant to fire has been introduced according to EN 16034. Instead of meeting the emission limit values in the table, apartment doors erected in Finland can show that the door meets class M1.
A national adjustment for Norway has been introduced: Schools must comply with Sound Class C for reverberation time.
The adjustments are published in criteria version 3.8.
3.6 ⇛ 3.7: Adjustment and prolongation of the criteria
Some adjustments have been included in the criteria:
- O4: The percentages for energy consumption of the buildning for Sweden have been raised. At the same time, the two exceptions are removed for detached houses under 130 square meters and multi-family houses in southern Sweden.
- O20: The phthalate DIUP was added to the exceptions formotion joints outdoors.
- Appendix 7 has been updated.
- Appendix 8 has been updated.
Furthermore, the criteria have been prolonged with 21 months. The new versionen is 3.7 and is valid until 2022-12-31.
3.5 ⇛ 3.6: Adjustment of the criteria
Some adjustments and clarifications have been included in the criteria:
- The definition of "homes for the elderly" has been clarified under "What can carry the Nordic Swan Ecolabel?".
- O6: Product category "kitchen fan" has been removed.
- O6: Product category "fridges in prefabricated mini kitchens/kitchenettes" has been adopted.
- Appendix 8 has been clarified regarding the term "power cables".
- Appendix 9 has been updated.
The new versionen is 3.6 and is valid until 2021-03-31.
3.4 ⇛ 3.5: Adjustment and prolongation of the criteria
A majority of adjustments and clarifications have been included in the criteria:
- O24: Clarification regarding the ban on PVC inner surfaces has been clarified, including internal surface products such as moldings, doors, skirtings and interior doors.
- Exceptions for 2-component products in operating spaces, see the definition at the end of section 4.2 "Built-in-place versus prefabricated".
- Radon requirement O9 was clarified but the level of requirements is unchanged.
- Daylight Requirements O13 and Appendix 5 were clarified to show how the maximum daylight factor and the risk of over-temperature must be verified.
- In requirement O16 Classification of chemical products, exceptions were introduced so that it is possible to use acrylic flooring as compound flooring in commercial kitchens.
- Two new point opptions were added and one point option was removed from the P10 point-score requirement. At the same time, the name of the claim changed to "Conscious Product Choice".
- Two new appendices were introduced: Appendix 12b, which is a guide on reporting the propotion of certified wood, and Appendix 14, which provides a more detailed description of Green initiatives.
- Requirements O16, O17 and O20 have been adjusted to enable the use of naphtha-based primers for close-up assembly (low-ceilinged ceilings, green ceilings, courtyards / courtyards, terraces and the like) for motion joints outdoors and to ceiling glue.
- Requirements O22 has been adjusted so that electrical cable conduits may contain a certain concentration of brominated flame retardents. The threshold limit values are specified in the requirement and the content must be verified using ion chromatography.
- Permenent exception for the specified brominated copolymer of butadiene and styrene in cellular insulation foam, under the conditions stated in requirement O22.
- Requirements O25 "Windows and exterior doors of non-renewable materials" has been adjusted relating to aluminum. The definition of what is considered to be pre-consumer recycled material has been adjusted and the percentage has been changed from 30% to 40%.
- Finland's energy requirement has been adjusted because a new regulation from the Ministry of the Environment on the energy performance of buildings came into force. And the energy requirement for Sweden as well as new energy rules came into force in BBR 25.
In addition to the above-mentioned adjustments to the criteria, there has been aprolongation by 12 months to March 31, 2021. The new version is called 3.5.
3.3 ⇛ 3.4: Alteration of criteria
On 9 October 2017, the Nordic Critera Management Group decided on the following minor adjustments in the criteria:
- O17: An exeption regarding the substance glyoxal (Cas-no 107-22-2) up to maximum 100 ppm in the final product if the pH-value exceeds pH8 in the final product.
- O20: Primers to expansion joints outwardly on the building may contain up to 15% by weight of volatile aromatic compounds. The exeptions for tin organic catalysts in the requirement are adjusted to bebased on the content in the hardener system. Two different levels are determined. A lower (0.2%) in polyurethane based products and a higher (0.5%) in products of silicone, MS-polymer, and epoxy polymer.
- O26: The requirement is completed with an exemption for copper in domestic waterpipes in service areas such as substations, machine rooms, electricity centresand similar areas.
- O28: The requirement is completed with curtain walls and underlay on roofs to the bullet list of wooden construction parts to be in certified wood raw materialfrom Chain of Custody certifed suppliers.
- O3: The point sum to be achieved was loweered for all building types, but only for Finland. The reason is that Ecolabelled construction products are available to a lower extent in Finland, which makes it more difficult to achieve points.
- O4 and Appedix 4: Completed with the regulation BEN 1 from the Swedish National Board of Housing, Building and Planning.
- O10: Some clarifications are made in requirement O10 Moisture prevention.
- O15: Text in italics is removed since it has been experienced as confusing.
- O22: Jointing strips, tape and similar sealing products have been subject to our requriement and are used in a pretty large extent. Thus the bullet under Triviality limit and Appendix 8 are adjusted.
- P5: 1 point for thermostatic mixers with shower in energy class B is introduced.
- P11: The envelope text is removed and the envelope refers to requirement O28 instead.
- O12 Noise Environment (solely applies to pre-school and school buildings): To compensate for differences in the noise standards the requirement is adjusted for Denmark, Norway and Finland in the following way: reverberation and one additional parameter must fulfill noise class B. All other parameters shall fulfill noise class C. At the same time, the reference for Denmark is changed to "Trafik- og Byggestyrelsens vejledning om lydbestemmelser (Akustisk Indeklima)".
- O22 Excluded substances in construction products, construction goods and materials: Due to residual momomer levels in raw matrerial and also in final product (insulation material) an exception to the general rule that impurities are not allowed to exceed 100 ppm is necessary. I In EPS and XPS insulation material manufactured by polystyrene, residues of styrene monomer are allowed in maximum l000 ppm in the polystyrene (i.e in the raw material).
- O28: An exception to the general rule that suppliers shall be Chain of Custody Certified has been introduced in requirement O28. A non Chain of Custody certified supplier can be approved, provided that the supplier can garantee that the wood raw material is purchased from a Chain of Custodu certified wood raw material supplier which can prove that the wood raw mateiral fulfills the Nordic Ecolabelling requirements.
- O13 Daylight: Pre-schools situated on the ground floor in apartment buildings where the daylight is restricted by the surrounding, can as an alternative fulfill the daylight factor requirement in the relevant country's building code.
- The new version is called 3.2 and is valid until 2020-03-31.
- O16 Classification of chemical products: The exception makes it possible to use chemical anchors classified H400, in installation of reinforcing bars in concrete constructions in apartment buildings.
- O 22 Excluded substances in construction products, construction goods and materials: The exception makes it possible to use foam insulation protected with the flame retardant butadien styrene brominated copolymer, if certain conditions are fulfilled. The excetion is limited to 31 December 2017.
- The energy requirement O4 has been completed with an alternative way to fulfil the requirement. The applicant can either relate the energy use of the building to the earlier building regulation or to the new regulation which has come into force in Denmark and Sweden. Due to this, requirement O8, O42 and P1 are also adjusted.
- CLP classification rules in requirement O15, O16 and O20 and Appendix 5 are introduced.
- The restriction on antimony trioxide to apply to concentrations of antimony trioxide exceeding 1 weight percent in the building products has been adjusted.
- A clarification regarding boron compounds in requirement O17, O21, appendix 5 and appendix 6 was introduced.
- An exemption for driers (less than 0.3 %) in paints that contain alkyd based binders was also made.
- A clarification has been made stating that the ban on chromium only regards chromium (VI). Requirements O17 and O21 are now harmonized.
- O27: The formaldehyde criterium has been harmonized with the Nordic Ecolabel criteria for Panels for the building, decorating and furniture industry and also for furniture. This means that the highest allowed value will be 0, 124 mg formaldehyde/m3 air for MDF boards.
- The more stringent level will come into force on July 1st, 2014.
- O8: O8, "Individual measurement of energy", is complemented by the following exception: An exemption is made for hot water consumption in extensions to existing buildings, where it is not technically feasible to install a system for individual measurement due to existing pipes. The qualification for the exemption is that one of the measurements described in P2 are installed and that an energy saving of 25% or more, based on the hot water consumption is achieved. 1 point will then be reduced from P2.
At the same time the text in requirement O2, O14 and P11 were clearified. The introductory texts in sections 4.2 Chemical product and "The following is valid forconcrete and cement" were also clearified. The clearification of text implies no change in requirement level but only to increase the clarity.
Appendices 6, 7 and 9 have been corrected accordingly.
In addition to the above-mentioned adjustments to the criteria, they have been extended by 12 months to March 31, 2021. The new version is called 3.5.
3.3 ⇛ 3.4: Alteration of criteria
The new version is called 3.4 and is valid until 2020-03-31.
3.2 ⇛ 3.3: Alteration of criteria
The new version is called 3.3 and is valid until 2020-03-31.
3.1⇛ 3.2: Alteration of criteria
3.0⇛ 3.1: Alteration of criteria
Two adjustments were introduced:
3.0: New criteria generation
Version 3.0 of Nordic Ecolabel's criteria for small houses, apartment buildings and pre-school buildings were decided on March 9th, 2016. Version 3.0 of the criteria is valid until March 30th, 2020.
2.12⇛ 2.13: Alteration of criteria
The criteria have been prolonged to October 31st, 2017, to give at least 18 months transition period. The new version is called 2.13.
2.11⇛ 2.12: Alteration of criteria
The new version, 2.12, is valid until June 30th, 2017.
We are so happy you decided to send in an application for the Nordic Swan Ecolabel!
The application process starts by you downloading the application form and filling it in. You then send it to Ecolabelling Sweden.
We will register your application and send you a confirmation. You will also be assigned an advisor and eventually also called for a start-up meeting.
Nordic Ecolabelling Portal
For the finished building to be Nordic Swan Ecolabelled, the constituent materials must meet all Nordic Ecolabelling requirements for small houses, apartment buildings and buildings for schools and pre-schools. We make demands on construction products, construction products, materials and chemical products.
Products that are already Nordic Swan Ecolabelled or EU Ecolabelled are automatically approved to be part of a Nordic Swan Ecolabelled construction project. Other products must be documented and approved separately. This is done by the applicant company putting together a list of materials intended to be used, in the Nordic Ecolabelling Portal.
Nordic Ecolabelling has produced a product matrix that can be of great help when it comes to finding out which information must be reported when the products are declared.
We have also developed general instructions for Nordic Ecolabelling Portal users who, among other things, explain the difference between a listed product and a Nordic Swan Ecolabelled product and give a clear explanation of what the registration of products means.
We wish you luck with your application and, most importantly, your work towards a more sustainable world!
For more information: "Application step by step"