Hotels, Restaurants and Conference Facilities 055
A Nordic Swan Ecolabelled hotel, restaurant or conference facility has adopted a lifecycle approach to its work on the environment and met the stringent requirements of Nordic Ecolabelling. The hotel, restaurant or conference facility works, with the help of the Nordic Swan Ecolabel, towards a sustainable society.
Staff work in many areas to reduce environmental impact. To be awarded the Nordic Swan Ecolabel the business must meet a number of limit values. Energy consumption, which is one of the limit values, is one of the most significant areas of environmental impact for these businesses.
The business works actively to reduce amounts of waste and water consumption. A Nordic Swan Ecolabelled business also takes steps to optimise the use of chemical products. A high proportion of the products used is ecolabelled. Nordic Swan Ecolabelled restaurants meet stringent requirements on the ingredients purchased and used. Nordic Swan Ecolabelled restaurants also use a high proportion of organic foodstuffs. A Nordic Swan Ecolabelled business always has clear procedures for the central functions of the business. This means that there are procedures and rules in place on which products must and must not be purchased, for example, and that the staff is committed to working to improve the environment.
Fees valid from January 1st, 2019 until further notice
Application fee including one on-site inspection 30 000 SEK exkl. VAT Renewal fee 15 000 SEK exkl. VAT
Annual licence fee:
Annual licence fee Facilities with an annual turnover, less than 15 million SEK:
0,15 % of the annual turnover excl. VAT.
Facilities with an annual turnover which exceeds 15 million SEK:
0,15 % of the turnover up to 15 million SEK and 0,03 % of the part of the turnover which exceeds 15 million SEK.
Minimum fee 20 000 SEK annually excl. VAT Maximum fee 60 000 SEK excl. VAT
Fee for extensions/alterations of licence:
Extension/alteration of existing licence The fee is based on how long it takes to handle the matter:
- Less than 4 hours: 3 750 SEK excl. VAT
- Between 4 and 8 hours: 7 500 SEK excl. VAT
- More than 8 hours: 15 000 SEK excl. VAT
Fees for on-site inspections:
Extra fee for additional on-site inspection within the Nordic countries 5 000 SEK excl. VAT per visit On-site inspection outside the Nordic region, but within Europe 10 000 SEK excl. VAT per visit On-site inspections outside Europe
25 000 SEK excl. VAT per visit
Information on the latest version of the criteria for hotels, restaurants and conferences
4.6 ⇛ 4.7: Prolongation of the criteria
The criteria have been prolonged with 12 months and are valid until 31 December 2022. The new version is 4.7.
4.5 ⇛ 4.6: Prolongation of the criteria
The criteria have been prolonged with 12 months and are valid until 31 December 2021. The new version is 4.6.
4.4 ⇛ 4.5: New alternative requirements for restaurants and Prolongation of criteria
A new chapter (Ch. 5 Alternative requirements for restaurants) with requirements for restaurants that do not operate with a hotel business or conference centre has been added to the criteria.
The most important differences in relation to the requirements for restaurants that operate with a hotel business or conference centre are:
- No obligatory limit values on energy and water.
- The requirements for organic food and beverages have become stricter.
- New requirements on food waste.
The new version, 4.5, is valid until December 31, 2020.
4.3 ⇛ 4.4: Alteration of criteria
Changes have been made in requirements O38 Minimum proportion of organic foodstuffs and beverages and P28 Organic food and beverages.
The new version, 4.4, is valid until December 31st 2018.
4.2 ⇛ 4.3: Clarification of criteria
- O17: A clarification of the documentation requirement has been introduced.
The new version, 4.3, is valid until December 31st 2018.
4.1 ⇛ 4.2: Adjustment of criteria
Adjustments have been made in the following requirements:
- O5: Limit values for water consumption
- O6: Limit values for waste
- O11: Ecolabelled cleaning products
- P23: Ecolabel durable goods
- P24: Ecolabelled services
- O25/O38: Minimum proportion of organic foodstuffs and beverages
- P28: Organic foods and beverages
Furthermore, requirement O34, marketing, has been removed from all criteria documents.
The new version, 4.2, is valid until December 31st 2018.
4.0 ⇛ 4.1: Adjustment of criteria
Adjustments have been made in the following requirements:
- O4 Limit values for energy
- O38 Minimum proportion of organic foodstuffs and beverages
- O39 Vegetarian dishes
- P30 Vegetarian restaurant
- O34 Marketing: A new requirement has been introduced.
- O2 Conference facilities: External suppliers of restaurant services
- O15 Purchasing procedures – chemical products
- P14 Dosage of dishwasher drying agents
- O19 When purchasing Newly purchased low energy lamps, fluorescent tubes and LEDs
- O25/O38 Minimum proportion of organic foodstuffs and beverages
- P28 Organic food and beverages
- P29 Proportion of fish and shellfish labelled as sustainable
The new version, containing all changes above is 4.1. It is valid until December 31st 2018.
4.0: New criteria version
A new version of Nordic Ecolabel's criteria for hotels, restaurants and conference facilities have been published. The most important changes in this version are:
- The criteria for hotels and restaurants have been merged into one document.
- The criteria now also include conferences (without accomodation)
- It is now possible to apply for a licence in the Baltic States.
- An energy tool has been developed to calculate business-specific limit values relating to the type of business, plus its heating method, area, number of guests, climate zone, etc.
- There is a new electronic application guide, My Swan Account that also are further developed with a product data base for chemicals.
- New in this version is point requirement on CO2-emissions.
- New obligatory requirement on the use of fossil oil in oil boilers at the premise.
- The limit values for water and waste have been retained, but are calculated in a different way compared with previous criteria for hotels. For restaurants limit values on these parameters are new in this version and therefore a tightening.
- The requirements on fish that may not be served have been tightened up.
- The requirement on serving vegetarian dishes is now obligatory.
We are so happy you decided to send in an application for the Nordic Swan Ecolabel!
The application process starts by you downloading the application form and filling it in. You then send it to Ecolabelling Sweden.
We will register your application and send you a confirmation. You will also be assigned an advisor who will help you through the application process.
During this process, you will send in documentation that proves that your facility can successfully meet each of Nordic Ecolabelling’s requirements for hotels, restaurants and conference facilities.
The application consists of these parts:
- Completed application form
- Documentation overview
- Documentation showing fulfilment of all requirements according to the criteria document
Once your facility has been approved – not before, you have the right to use the Nordic Swan Ecolabel in all your marketing as long as your licence is valid.
We wish you luck with your application and, most importantly, your work towards a more sustainable world!
For more information: "Application step by step"